Thursday, September 2, 2010

Reading for Champions Book Club

It is a new month so I thought I would start something new on my blog and on Twitter.  I have written before about the value of reading, and listening to, self-improvement, motivational books and tapes.  That is why I have a Books I Have Read list in the left column.  So to motivate you to read, once a month, beginning this month, I will highlight a book from my list and tell you why I recommend you read it.  Now, I am not a book critic so don't expect to read about the pros and cons of the book.  This endeavor into reading will be called the Reading for Champions Book Club!

I know from my experience, as well as the experience of others,
that consistently taking in positive information will help you develop into a better person.  But I also know it is easy to come up with excuses why you can't read.  Let me address those excuses because there are bogus and are holding you back from greatness.

     1.  I don't have time - Yes, you do.  30 minutes a day is sufficient; 15 in the morning and 15 in the evening.  Try reading during your lunch hour or your daily commute. Or be radical - get an audio book and put it on your Ipod.  You can download books at Audible.com.  Since you read my blog, I gonna give you some extra special time savers.  I put the link to Audible in right column.  And if you want a hard copy, I made the title of the book a link to Amazon.com.

      2. I don't have the money to buy books. - There is a place in this country where you can get books to read for free.  It's called a public library.  Use it.

If you follow me on Twitter, http://twitter.com/SharmansJourney (or @SharmansJourney), you will see tweets with the hashtag #reading4champions when I reference the book for the month. (If you are not familiar with Twitter, a hashtag in front of a topic will put all the tweets with the hashtag into one file and make a topic popular among other Tweeters. For example, #followfriday and #quotes are popular Twitter topics). If the author has a Twitter account, I will give you his/her link so you can follow. I follow quite a few of the authors listed in my Books I Have Read list and they all share valuable information in 140 characters (like texting, Twitter has max characters).  My goal, in using the hashtag, is to create a book club via Twitter that extends well beyond the readers of my blog into the entire world. My goal is to create a world of champions through reading.

I hope you are excited about the Reading for Champions book club as I am!  Look for the post about the first book before this week is out and every first week of the month thereafter  By the way, I will still do a weekly post on my self-improvement.  In the meantime, I want to leave you with this thought:
 
      "The great ones have a world view that says happiness is learning, growing and becoming. School is never out for champions." Steve Siebold, 177 Mental Toughness Secrets of the World Class.

Question for Comment: Since you graduated from high school, do you read books? How often and what kind of books do you read?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a Comment About This Post....