Friday, September 3, 2010

Reading4Champions: Opportunity Knocks

Hey everyone, it's time to read and succeed!

The first book for the #Reading4Champions book club* is Opportunity Knocks by Pat Mesiti.  I picked this book to start because it is a easy read, 100 pages, the layout is simple and the text is not hard on the eyes.

I recommend this book because it is very straight forward.  Mr. Mesiti's view of opportunity as "a means to create a more meaningful, prosperous and influential life, for others and myself" (page 18) caused
a major paradigm shift in my thinking of opportunity.  The chapter which had the most impact on me was Chapter Two - Myths About Opportunity.   In this chapter, Mr. Mesiti set out five myths people cling to which causes them to miss out on so many of the good things in life.  As I read each myth and Mr. Mesiti's response to the myth, I got excited and yelled yes!  I had believed those myths at one time.  Also as I read each myth, I began to understand why so many people opt to stay average and not become the champions they were meant to be.  For example, the first myth Mr. Mesiti addressed was "if you take an opportunity, you are somehow perceived to be morally corrupt." (page 19).  Wow! Think about that.  Don't most people think taking advantage of an opportunity means you have to take advantage of, use or step on people??  His response - "how you use your opportunities . . . will reflect the type and quality of person you are."  He goes on to say when good people take advantage of opportunities for money, power and influence, they generally also create opportunities for others to overcome lack.  In other words, I can only help you not drown if I can swim.  If I jump into the water and can't swim, we both drown.

Enough from me.  I don't what to spoil the book for you.  Happy reading!


*I decided to use the same wording as the Twitter hashtag to create consistency between the blog and Twitter.

Question for Comment: Do you have a book you would like to recommend for reading?  Why do you think this book will help create champions world-wide?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a Comment About This Post....